Have you ever come across a mom on social media and admired how well she's managed to keep it together and look amazing while juggling a child and a career? These were my thoughts when I came across Char, we connected through Instagram some time ago and I've loved watching her and her stylish little girl put together the cutest Mommy n' Me looks. Char is expecting another addition to her family, so EXCITING!!! I'm really looking forward to keeping up with her through her new stage of motherhood :)
Where are you from? Where do you currently reside?
I was born in Lomé, Togo, I grew up in Ottawa Canada and I now call Chicago home.
What is your raw talent? (what is it you do that put's the work in "Yeah, she working")
Honestly, I don't know, I don't want to sound self righteous haha!!! But I think that putting looks together / styling is something that comes pretty easy to me. I also have a love for the written word- reading something that's well written makes me happy!!! In a nutshell , anything that allows me to be creative.
When did it spark? (when did you recognize your talent and realized it was something to pursue)
In the areas of styling? ... I think it comes from two things. My mother is a self taught seamstress so watching her transform fabrics into wonderful outfits intrigued me. My father, in his younger days was also pretty outspoken in his personal style - from silk shirts to Miami-vice like suits his taste was out of this world.
The history, every journey has a story what's yours?
My journey... For one, it's one of trial and error. A lot of mistakes when it came to making the right decisions in finding my niche and pursuing my interests ( business wise). An extreme lack of patience lol and expecting things to happen instantly because of the amount of work and effort I would put into things. I think that also had to do with a lack of maturity in how things really work when it comes to business. Looking back now, it was a learning experience and I wouldn't trade that journey for anything.
How do you work it? What is the current situation for your business?
I " werk " it by staying focused, not comparing my journey to others' and doing what works for me. Keeping my eyes on my goals and having fun while doing it.
A little PIECE of advice...
Business advice, I don't know, I'm still learning as I go. I will say that staying focused and not counting on anyone to get you where you need to go. Trusting in your abilities and having faith that whatever is for you is for you.
Do you have a favorite
space or setting you're most comfortable working in?
When I'm blogging, or writing I like a quiet space - my home office is currently in my bedroom - so I spend most of my time in there.
Who needs your company/ who's your target market?
My blog is for anyone who enjoys a little inspiration when it comes to lifestyle. My business (Preface Agency) is for moms or moms- to be looking to revamp their look, not to say that we won't service other ladies but our focus are moms.
What she said (give us your favorite quote)
My favorite quote? I have so many!!! Argh.... Ummmm... "“Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.” ~Teddy Roosevelt |
- Favorite app ? VSCOcam
- Summer or Fall? Fall
- Heels or Flats? Flats, I love a nice pair of loafers or oxfords
- The perfect Closet PIECE? The one piece in my closet I'm loving is a pair of Suart Weitzman leopard heels I purchased as bday gift for myself! Oddly enough I've only worn them once. But I like that they're there in my closet hahah!
- Your wishlist? (top 3 things you're coveting) Three things I'm coveting right now... Well they might be a little boring but they're all household related! I will spare you the details hahahah!
- A perfect Sunday? Perfect Sunday... Church with my little family, followed by a nap... And good food!
- I feel inspired the most when...I feel inspired the most right when I'm about to sleep... My mind is always flooded by crazy ideas that I often jolt down on my iPhone's notepad, or record through voice memos... Must be the quietness in the house... It's really the only time I'm alone with my thoughts hahaha ;)
To see more amazing photos and content check out Char on her blog Milk n' Honee